- University of Evansville
- San Diego Padres (1989-1995)
- Seattle Mariners (1995)
- St. Louis Cardinals (1996-1997, 2000-2002)
- Arizona Diamondbacks (1998-1999)
- #1 pick in the 1988 Major League Baseball Draft (by the San Diego Padres)
- His brother Alan Benes also pitched in the Major Leagues, and was his teammate in 1996-97 and 2000-01.
- 1x All-Star (1993)
- Third in Cy Young Award voting in 1996 (went 18-10 with a 3.83 ERA)
- First player in Diamondbacks history when he signed as a free agent prior to the 1998 season. He also threw out the first pitch in the franchise’s history.
In case your wondering how the heck Andy Benes was a #1 overall pick, just look at his junior year in college at Evansville. He was 16-3 with a 1.42 ERA, struck out 188 and walked just 36. In addition, he threw 13 complete games and 8 shutouts. He was named the 1988 College Player of the Year.
RFP Trivia: Benes was the first player selected in the 1988 Major League Baseball Draft. Can you name the #1 picks from both 1987 and 1989?
Benes had an up and down Major League career. For example, in 1993 he went 15-15 and was an All-Star. The next season he led the Majors in losses, but also led the Majors in strikeouts. He had seasons such as 1996, where he went 18-10 with a 3.83 ERA and finished 3rd in NL Cy Young voting, but also had a season (2001) in which he had a 7.38 ERA in 27 games (including 19 starts). (Benes’ career stats)
In 2005, The Bad Beat Baseball Blog would not let us “forget” Andy Benes by pointing out some of the more amusing box score lines of 2001 for Andy:
IP H R ER K BB HR 2.7 9 10 10 2 0 2 5.7 7 7 7 2 3 4 3.7 10 9 6 8 2 2 3.7 6 6 6 4 5 5
In a 2004 column for The Sporting News, pitcher Todd Jones mentioned that Benes had a habit of gritting his teeth when preparing to throw a slider. I’m sure every hitter in the league knew of this. I’m gonna make a read that Benes wasn’t a good poker player.
Benes is only tagged on one video on youtube. WARNING: It may be as disturbing as looking at sky-view pictures of his house:
Trivia Answer: Ken Griffey Jr. (1987), Ben McDonald (1989)
>>Return to RFP Homepage